Moss Arts Center - The Cube
Organized in five movements, Salt Marsh Suite is an original video/sound installation and performance. Based on field observation, 3D laser scanning, imagery and sound recordings collected in a North Carolina coastal estuary, the piece connects art and science, weaving the lines between the lives of the marsh animals and plants and the strong environmental (and human) forces that shape their existence. Salt Marsh Suite is a collaborative work by a group of faculty and regional artists.
Salt Marsh Suite is in the Cube, a state-of-the-art facility for experimental work connecting the arts and technology located in the Moss Arts Center at Virginia Tech. This event is sponsored by the Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology (ICAT) with support from the School of Performing Arts and the School of Visual Arts.
Tickets for Performances
There is no fee, but tickets may be reserved in advance; for tickets, contact the Moss Arts Center box office by phone at 540-231-5300, online at www.artscenter.vt.edu, or in person from noon-6 pm on Monday-Friday or 11 am – 4pm on Saturday.
*The installation is open to the public without tickets during gallery hours.
Gallery Hours (Installation):
Wednesday, April 23rd: noon – 6:00pm
Thursday, April 24th: noon – 6:00pm
Friday, April 25th: noon – 6:00pm
Saturday, April 26th: 11:00am – 4:00pm
Sunday, April 27th: 11:00am – 2:00pm
Thursday, April 24th: 7:00pm and 8:00pm
Friday, April 25th: 7:00pm and 8:00pm
Sunday, April 27: 3:00pm
The venue opens 30 minutes before each performance.
Talk and Discussion:
Sunday, April 27: Following the 3:00pm performance, Dr. Catherine Gatenby and Virginia Fisheries Coordinator Albert Spells of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service will join a panel of artists and scientists from Virginia Tech for a discussion and talkback.
The cross college and multidisciplinary team includes:
- Carol Burch-Brown, School of Visual Arts, Installation Director
- Ann Kilkelly, School of Performing Arts, Performance Director
- Joan Grossman, School of Performing Arts, Video Editor
- Thomas Tucker, School of Visual Arts, Laser Scanning & Animation
- Tohm Judson, Winston-Salem State University, Composer
- Rachel Grant Rough, Independent Artist, Choreographer
- Danah Bella, Radford University, Dancer, Choreographer
- Steve Williams, Theatre Arts MFA student, Lighting Designer
- Katy Conner, School of Visual Theatre Arts student, Stage Manager
- Dongsoo Choi, MFA student, School of Visual Arts, Photography and Laser Scanning
Picture Credits: Dongsoo Choi, Carol Burch Brown, Joan Grossman