The Institute for Creativity, Arts, and Technology (ICAT) invites applications for projects that are creative, innovative, and show a strong potential for contribution toward the goals of ICAT and partnering units. These funds can be used to pursue a range of transdisciplinary activities including creative projects, pilot studies, feasibility studies, or preliminary research.
ICAT will award 3 student grants for the fall semester for $1,000 each.
Project Team: Teams must be comprised of at least 3 students, from at least 2 different colleges. If two team members are from the same college they must be from different departments within that college. For each team member please submit: Name, College and Major, Year, and VT PID.
Current students at Virginia Tech are invited to submit an application and lead a project team. The project PI(s) must be enrolled at Virginia Tech in good standing as a graduate or undergraduate.
In keeping with Virginia Tech’s Principles of Community (http://www.inclusive.vt.edu/), ICAT recognizes the critical importance of diverse teams of scholars. ICAT seeks to diversify its research teams along multiple dimensions. ICAT is dedicated to InclusiveVT — serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members.
Proposals should involve two or more of the following areas represented by ICAT.
Faculty Advisor: One faculty advisor is required per team, however teams may opt to have more than one team advisor. Please submit the Name, Department, and VT PID of the Team Advisor(s).
- Submission Due Date: February 13, 2019
- Announcement: February 20, 2019
- Funded teams agree to exhibit their work at ICAT Creativity + Innovation Day, May 6, 2019
- Teams retain right of ownership to their project, however teams agree to submit final documentation of their project, which ICAT may use for publication purposes.
Proposal format: Submissions will be limited to 5 pages (8 1/2”X 11”), in PDF format, 3MB or under, including all text and images. No video or audio files, please.
Please address each section in your proposal using Times New Roman 12 pt. font. Proposal should be limited to 5 pages including images.
Complete team information
- PI Information: Name, College, Major, Email, Home Department
- Team Member Information: Names, College, Major, Emails, Home Departments
- Faculty Advisor(s) Information: Name, Department, Email
Statement of Need/Project Description
- Listing of research areas involved (see first page)
- Statement of innovation
- Linkage to ICAT mission and goals
- Where project work will happen and if technical resources from ICAT are needed
Methods and Strategies
- Describe the activities that will be conducted as part of your project
Goals and Objectives
- Describe the overall outcome your project aims to achieve
- Describe project outputs
- Describe plans for future funding, exhibition, etc.
Plan for Evaluating Project Success
- Describe how you will determine if your project has been successful
- Describe anticipated outcomes and deliverables
- Timeline should begin after February 21, 2019 and end by May 6, 2019.
- Budget and Budget Justification
- Total budget request
- Budget justification and amounts requested for
- Student time
- Materials and supplies
- 1. Cover sheet to include:
- Signatures of all team members
- Signature of faculty advisor
- 2. Proposal Document (PDF submission to Lisa Jansen and Holly Williams)
- Funds will be awarded to the PI’s home department unless otherwise authorized by ICAT. All project expenses must be posted to Banner within 30 days of the project’s end date.
- Unspent funds must be transferred back to ICAT within 45 days of the project’s end date.
- Funds will not be awarded for conference travel, food, outside artist fees, or honorariums.
- Funds may be used for equipment, software, materials.
- In partnership with The University Libraries, ICAT may refer applicants to the Newman Library Fusion Studio, a space designed to support long-term, collaborative projects. For more information on the Fusion Studio, please visit spaces.lib.vt.edu/fusionstudio