Moss Arts Center, Virginia Tech
Call for Makers
ICAT invites students in grades 9-12 to propose an exhibit for the Virginia Maker Conference. At the conference, makers will show their products and processes, meet makers from other schools across the state, and learn more about opportunities at Virginia Tech. They will also participate in a design workshop and ICAT Creativity and Innovation Day activities. Click here to download the full Call for Makers.
Conference Theme: Sensing Place
In conjunction with ICAT Creativity and Innovation Day, the theme of the 2017 Virginia Maker Conference is Sensing Place. We explore how science, engineering, art, and design coalesce to form a sense of place, including the environmental place, the historic place, the virtual place, and the cultural place. Situate yourself at the Moss Arts Center to see how human senses and electronic sensors contribute to and learn from place. Meet the faculty and students who are crossing traditional boundaries to develop new possibilities for exploration, expression, and creativity.
- 3:00 PM Concert in the Cube (optional)
- 7-9 PM Maker Conference Design workshop
- 8:00 AM Building opens
- 8:30 AM Maker Conference exhibits open
- 10:00 AM Keynote
- 11:00 AM ICAT Creativity and Innovation Day opens to public
- 12:00 PM Maker Conference exhibits close
- 1:30 PM Maker Conference award presentation
- 2:00 PM Maker Conference dismissed
- 4:00 PM ICAT Creativity and Innovation Day exhibits close (optional)
- 7:30 PM Concert in the Cube (optional)
Conference Registration Fee - FREE
The conference is free to attend for students whose projects are accepted. ICAT Creativity and Innovation Day events are also free and open to the public.